Thursday, May 14, 2009

My AA Sponsor

I want to share a bit about the man who help me the most to quit smoking.
We, Bob Slater and myself, started a Nicotine Anonymous meeting in the Fall of 1995.
Bob had been battling Lung Cancer for some years. He had been sober for about 25 years at that time. I rented a room from him in his apartment in Escondido. I managed to stop smoking and stay stopped by applying the techniques I will outline here in this journal. Bob was not so fortunate. He would die a long, painful and drug addled death. His death was directly caused by his addiction to cigarettes. The poisons took away his freedoms first. He was connected to an oxygen bottle and nebulizers. I remember when he lost his license, he ran over a curb and almost hit a pedestrian. He was on strong pain meds. I have to tell you I had great admiration for Bob. He was my mentor. He was a retired fire fighter, when I first met him he was a drug and alcoholism counselor... MY counselor. That was perhaps 10 years before I came to AA on the right terms... because I wanted to be there, not because I was there on a court card. Bob worked for a state mandated DUI program. I was a multiple offender.


More later,....

No comments:

Post a Comment