Thursday, May 14, 2009

If I can quit, ANYBODY can quit!

I have managed to stay smober since December 8, 1995.
I think I am done, but I have to be careful how I percieve my 'smobriety'.
I have a daily reprieve that is contingent on the maintenance of my spiritual condition. Honesty is the first step in recovery from nicotine addiction. I had to change my vocabulary, to reflect the truth. I stopped saying "I need a cigarette" before I could actually quit. The truth is, nobody EVER "NEEDS" a cigarette. The human life form needs oxygen, not smoke.

There are many little tricks and tips and theories and treatments that I applied to my condition, to help me overcome what seemed like a hopeless battle. I had lost my free will. Tobacco OWNED me. I was not the master of my own life and it was hard for me to consider myself a spiritual person on a human path. When I finally did quit smoking; it was only after 16 months of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous. I applied the principles and the steps that helped me stop drinking and drugging. I also started a Nicotine Anonymous meeting in a side room of the local AA meeting hall, with some eager, like-minded friends.

I hope my own experience can help others. There is no greater feeling than freedom, for those who were once slaves.

Dont forget to breathe.

Smokers never inhale deeply, except when they are puffing a cigarette.

Breathe deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment